Monday, February 25, 2008

No Shoes, No Socks, Yes Smoking!


There are many different ways that we as Americans can show our displeasure with our government. Some of them lawful like a sit-in or a march. They become unlawful when they disrupt, cause damage or harm. And than you have people who think totally out of the box as written about in this news article coming out of Southern Illinois.

It seems that one Mr. Jon Hemminghous owner of the Wounded Rig, a boat repair shop, is taking the law into his own hands... or fingers. In protest of a no smoking law that Illinois lawmakers recently passed and went into effect on January 1st, Mr Hemminghous is having a good old fashion "Smoke In."

I have set with my family in enough smokey eating establishments to be grateful that smoking has been banned in many places - unfortunantly not where we currently live but that is another blog for another day. But I am not blind to the possible negative impact these bands have on places that a large number of it's clientele are smokers. What makes this article amusing - besides the nature of his protest - is that this guy owns a boat repair shop! How many customers are going to start going to another boat repair shop that accepts smokers??

Well, anyway, good luck and I hope the law takes it easy on you!

1 comment:

Jae said...

'its all about principle' and he doesn't even smoke. I actually agree with him. I don't like the cigarette smoke in public places (but I grew up in NC 15 miles from Winston Salem-- tobacco central)... but I also think the more we allow our gov't to impose personal preferences into the law the more danger we are headed for. I don't know that I'd want to hand $25K over for a fine and sit in jail for it... but... he DOES have a point and a principle to stand for. :-)